Monday, October 26, 2009

Another Testimonial From a Past Grad


Gerald Cartwright Graduated in 1998. He currently lives and works in Harrison, AR, where he runs his own finishing shop - Cartwright Wood Finishing Company





"In May of 1997, I attended a woodworking trade show in Little Rock, AR. It was through this show that I made a chance contact with a former graduate of the DCTC Wood Finishing Technology Program. The successful graduate explained the course work, skill sets learned, and the joy of knowing how to repair furniture. From this meeting, I was inspired to contact Mitch Kohanek at DCTC.
I graduated the Wood Finishing Technology Program at DCTC in June of 1998.
After graduating from the Wood Finishing Technology Program at DCTC, I was employed with a high end commercial furniture dealer in the Twin Cities area. My position was Manager, Restoration Services. I was tasked with starting a furniture service department at this company. Upon the completion of 2.5 years of employment, I was given the opportunity to purchase all of the assets of the service department and provide service through a sub-contractor arrangement.
In mid 2001, I relocated back to north central Arkansas, the area where I was raised. I started a furniture services company in Harrison, AR. My services include furniture refinishing, pre-finishing, and furniture touch-up, serving both commercial and residential customers.
The skill sets I learned at DCTC from Mitch Kohanek has allowed me to repair and finish anything with great confidence. All of the technical skills learned at DCTC Wood Finishing Technology Program are applied in my current business.
Mitch Kohanek is an inspiring teacher who can communicate his skills to those who care to learn."